Saturday, March 19, 2011

Feel Me Better


He ran ferociously: elbows bent, fists clenched, feet flying and Batman cape flapping. Just inches from catching up to his big sister, a crack in the uneven sidewalk knocked him to the ground.

His jeans tore and his breath left him until his scream found voice and filled the air.

My knees were on the ground a mere second after his fall. He hoisted his body into my lap and open arms. Then, he wailed a solitary demand:

"Feel me better! Please, please feel me better, right now!"

I had not one item in my purse to help him...not a time machine, band aid, ointment or even a tissue. So I held him tight, wiped away the tears that trickled down his plastic mask and whispered that everything was going to be O.K.

His pleas continued. "It hurts...please do something to feel me better."

I reached into my mind's files of "Useful Mommy Tools" and pulled out numerous kisses that I applied to his quivering chin, muddy palms and bloodied knee.

He sniffed, gulped air, sighed and exclaimed, "You did it mommy! You feeled me better! - But, I don't want to run anymore, I just want to walk beside you."

Then, with his hand in mine we walked slowly home. My boy felt better. He also felt safe.


As I held my little man (who will be four next month), I remembered so many of my past falls... so many wounds that stole my breath and pinned me to the earth. I remembered the times that I pleaded for God to take the pain away and make me feel better.

I remembered the times when the pain remained...even grew despite my begging. But I also remembered being held close in the arms of God. I remembered the balm of His comforting truth and steadfast love bringing solace to my stinging, scraped spirit.

And, I remember those times of healing...of gingerly walking forward while clenching His hand; feeling safe...feeling loved...feeling better.

"All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is our merciful Father and the source of all comfort. He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us. For the more we suffer for Christ, the more God will shower us with his comfort through Christ." - 2nd Corinthians 1:3-5 - NLT




2 comments:

Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

You are such a great mom Angela. And your little guy is so sweet. We are all so blessed to be held in His arms, to walk beside Him and have a hand to hold.

Angela Nazworth said...

You are so sweet...I'm really not that great of a mom...but through Grace of Christ I have been able to give my kids some great moments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...