Friday, December 5, 2008

The Hair is Always Prettier on the Other Head –Another Tale of Contentment


I have never liked my hair. Not even when I was four-years-old and my golden locks rivaled those of Rupunzel. Oh, I liked the length, and when it was properly curled and styled I pretended to be a princess…but I did not like the tangles…and even less did I enjoy the pain and aggravation caused by the untangling process.


My mom, being the one who had to listen to my whining protests, decided that my long hair had to go. This decision was made when I was in the fourth-grade, and it was one with which I agreed.


Oh, but there was a downside…when I was in grade four, the year on our annual Mid-Penn Bank calendar read 1984. Why is that date significant? Well…for starters it was the year of the mullet. Sigh. I do wish I had a picture to share.


Not only is the mullet an eye sore, it is a lot of work. My hair still easily knotted in the back and a brush was no longer the sole implement required to style my baby fine tresses. Each morning my mom had to stand over me with a hot curling iron to make the top portion of my head look more feminine…indeed, I do wish I had a picture of the finished look.


Fast-forward 25 years and you will still find me complaining about my hair. In fact, if you are my Facebook friend, you have witnessed my recent turmoil involving a box of home color and my daughter delightfully exclaiming that the results looked beautiful…just like a lollipop. Now of that, I have a picture.


Last night as I sat in the home of my new stylist eagerly waiting for her to transform me into a super model with just a few clips from her scissors, (I tend to have high expectations) she said the most peculiar thing to me.


“You are so lucky to have straight, fine hair.”


“You’ve got to be kidding me…I wouldn’t wish this hair on anyone, plus what is with my crazy hair line in the back that grows upward…and that hideous cowlick?”


“It’s much better than having hair like mine…it’s so thick and coarse.”


I looked at her long, thick, perfectly coiffed blond hair and giggled.


“This is too funny,” I said. “You have my dream hair!”


“Well, I guess we all want what we don’t have,” she replied.


How true that is. For sheep, the grass is always greener on the other side…for women, the hair is always prettier on the other head!


Moreover, it does not stop with hairstyles. Why is it so much easier for me to want something I cannot have than to thank Jesus for the many gifts I possess? I take so much for granted.


Instead of griping about the hair I have, I should be thanking the Lord that I can brush my hair every morning without clumps of it falling to the floor, which is what many women suffering with cancer face daily.


Instead of feeling annoyed by my old raggedy comforter each time I make my bed in the morning, I should pour out my heart in thanksgiving that I have a warm bed and blankets. They may be outdated, but they are clean and functional…much better than newspapers that cover the homeless.


Instead of being annoyed that our budget is too tight to buy Christmas presents for friends this year, I should get on my knees and thank my Savior for the many friends He has given me, and ask Him to show me how to creatively gift them with service, love, time, and kindness.


So while the grass may appear greener, hair prettier, furniture grander, homes bigger, and figures thinner…I’m going to try really hard to not be so interested in the proverbial other side. I am going to focus on how to make my inside look more like Jesus and foster a spirit of thankfulness for all He has given me.

Philippians 2:13-15 (New International Version)

For it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose. Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe.





47 comments:

Anonymous said...

As one who joins the Fine Hair Brigade, I love how you've revised "the grass is greener" to relate to us woman. How true it is that we always seem to think the hair is prettier on the other head! I think I had this exact conversation today when I complimented a student on her beautiful, thick, dark hair... and she replied that she hated it and thought mine was much prettier! Ha! Thanks for reminding us about what the true spirit of the season should be... surrenduring our hearts to the goodness of God's grace.

momstheword said...

We do tend to think that somebody else has it easier. We do need to learn to be thankful and content with what He has given us. The best way is just what you did, to be thankful in everything, just like He's told us to be.

A Bite of Country Cupcakes said...

So true...
Contentment is found in the little things...They truly are the big things...
And as Ahairdresser for 10 plus years..Let me tell ya,Not many are happy with the hair they got given:)

Carol said...

Thank you for reminding me of needing a thankful heart for all that God has provided. I tend to harbor the attitude of the now revised, "hair is prettier on the other side".

I recently moved from Michigan to England. I often compare what I once had to what I now have, and sometimes even to the children. Yikes! I can't tell you how many blessings we have here in our new home... more family time together, a new culture to learn from, beautiful places to see, a new church to minister in and be ministered to, a marriage so sweet that endures giant moves like this, and of all things, blogging for the first time. :-)

Thanks again for the reminder. Oh, and just for the record, I belong to the same hair group as you.

a Tonggu Momma said...

I've always felt okay about my hair, but my nose... my nose is another story. Thank you for another valuable lesson in contentment.

Beth in NC said...

That is a great blog. I understand about the hair. I have thin, fine hair, but A LOT of it. Very strange. You're right though ... we have so much to be thankful for. Thank you for the wonderful reminder to be grateful for every blessing. God is good!

Love,
Beth F.

Tracy said...

contentment - truly a needed theme for this time of the year!
let me know of your creative ideas for friends - I'll need them too!

Mel said...

It is so true that we all want what we don't have..i too have baby fine hair, yet my daughter has thick, long naturally spirally curly hair and we have long conversations about switching hair...

Thanks for the reminder to be oh so thankful for what I do have...

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

I agree wholeheartedly with this and can relate. :) For the record, I think your hair is very pretty. :)

Jennifer said...

Hair is SOOO complicated ;)
Another great post.......

Tales From the Eurovan said...

So true. We really have so much to be thankful for when we stop to think about it. What a good reminder.
Take care,
Julie
PS I think your hair looks good!

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I want to read your post, here, but right now, I only have time to thank you for your sweet comment on my blog. I will be back.
Ernestine :)

Shannon said...

Great one! I have been a long time sufferer of hair envy myself. Mine is fine and not very thick. I try really hard to be grateful for my gifts but a bad hair day can really make that hard:)

momstheword said...

I have to add that my hair is very fine too. My 19 year old son has great hair. Seems like such a waste on a guy....hehehe!

About your commment on my blog: I'm so glad it wasn't just me! Thanks for stopping by for a visit!

Jenners said...

I too have always hated my hair but finally (at age 41) come to terms that I will never have the long princess hair I've always dreamed of. But your post does such a nice job of making the turn to appreciating what we do have and how lucky we really are. If our "problems" are our hair, then we are truly blessed. nice post!

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

What a great post...and reminder, thank you :)

Kimberly said...

Hello. My name is Kimberly. I am starting a support group for those who have suffered through the mullet during childhood. Prayer will be offered at the end of each meeting! :)

My mom blessed my fine-haired noggin with a mullet, too. Sigh. I still love her. :)

Thanks for this post! A reminder that I need...like, daily!
Needing to do a lot more thanking and a WHOLE lot less grumbling and complaining,
K :)

Growin' With It said...

great perspective for all of us to think more about! me? i just color my hair!

love the last part of the verse how as God's children we will shine like stars in the universe!

Suzanne said...

So true - glad to hear other people have the same issue with their hair! Thanks for the reminder that God's way is always the best way, even if it's not the way we want.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more! I have much to be thankful for. Even my thin, fine hair. As the gray appears I tell my kids I don't mind so much because I'd rather have gray hair coming in than any of it coming out. I am thankful for hair staying on my head, no matter the style or lack-there-of. :)

Jamie said...

Great post! Seems like I'm always working on that contentment issue in one area or another.

Anonymous said...

Contentment. Why is it so hard to get to that point? It doesn't matter how many times someone tells me they wish they had MY hair (straight and fine as well), I still end up wishing for something else. Contentment definitely takes practice.

(Oh, and my high school yearbooks are full of mullets. What WERE we thinking?)

Elizabeth said...

My hair is as opposite yours as it could be... long, thick, dark. I dream of hair like yours so I understand your stylist! But with that said, thank you for the reminder that I need to be thankful for what I have! I forget that sometimes :)

{darlene} said...

words of truth, friend!

Audrey said...

Oh the mullet. I had a Rod Stewart hair cut my senior year of high school -with purple highlights no less. Wow. My poor parents!

I thank and praise God for showing me how the rest of the world lives. I will never again think that I 'need' something that someone else has. I have seen the miracle of gratitude in the face of a woman dying of AIDS and living in a mud hut the size of my closet. I pray that these images never leave my mind and I that I will live forever fully realizing how incredibly much God has blessed me with and for what purpose.

Thank you for the gift of this post! [and your hair is beautiful, by the way!]

Lisa Cobler said...

I hate my hair to. I always have but at least I have some.

I left something for you on my blog.

Heather of the EO said...

I'm in the Fine Hair Brigade too. :)

And it's so true, the grass is always greener and we do have so much.

Brenda Susan said...

I too have fine, straight hair & even tho I love Jesus etc, I still wish my hair were thicker! Ha! My son once told a stylist "Thank you" when she commented that he had fine hair! Ha! He thought it was a compliment!

Jennifer said...

I'm the one with the thick, not curly but wavy and not a pretty wave either hair. One that if it gets wet...you head for the house...quickly. But, I am thankful to have hair too.

Thanks for the challenge to be content in all things.

((hugs))

sister sheri said...

I've always envied the beautiful voices that surround me at church or in the choir. To make myself feel better I tell myself (and others)... "God knew that if I had a great singing voice... I would have been vain and tried to get a singing contract..."

Anonymous said...

This is a really good post and so true. Godliness with contentment is great gain.
You have lovely golden hair and an wonderful smile.
Ernestine :)

Anne Elizabeth said...

Excellent post:)

Tawny and Kya said...

That's awesome! I know exactly how you feel! I am stuck in a "hair rut", at least you're adventurous!
When did you live in Corpus?

Alicia The Snowflake said...

Amen! How many times we gripe about what we have instead of being thankful? Yet, we are to give thanks in all circumstances...even our hair!

Thanks for the reminder!
I hope you have a great weekend!

TuTu's Bliss said...

Hugs..If you need a tip on cheap gifts for princesses I will gladly share no sew tutu instructions and tips how to make one under 4$..if that will help? You can contact me through my Etsy store or eBay...www.tutusbliss.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

This post was absolutely wonderful! I use to whine that my hair was thin like my moms hair. But today I just embrace this, because as you said I could be losing it.

GrandCanyonMom said...

Amen sister!
Jaime

Anonymous said...

I have naturally blonde hair & hate it...

go figure?

Anonymous said...

WOW! Your words truly ministered to me tonight! I often find myself comparing my "everything" with other people. If only my heart and mind would learn to be more God focussed and less "me" focussed! This is definitely an area that God is working on inside of me! Thank-you for allowing Him to use your words to minister to my soul!

Aspiemom said...

You always are touching on our everyday problems!! Do you follow us around?

Lindsay said...

my Christmas letter for our family is all about contentment - and how important it is to be proud owners of everything that can't be bought!!

Matthew 5:6

Blessings to you as you continue to post GREAT stuff!!

Becca~CapturingSimpleJoys said...

This is so true, I had to laugh about the comment of wanting the hair on anothers head. I think every woman can relate to that one.
I also, especially this year when things are tight, need to remember some of the very things you mentioned. I need to be thankful for the many blessings I have, including a loving husband, the health of my family, roof over my head and food on the table.
Good post.

Unknown said...

Oh yes. As a hairstylist, I deal with the lack of hair contentment in people (including myself!) everyday. You know what I think it boils down to? Contentment with ourselves. Often, we are not satisfied with how we see ourselves and we think a magical haircut will make it all better. I've had some clients that were never happy with anything I did and I finally determined that it wasn't me per say. It was their unhappiness with themselves that left them dissatisfied.
this was a great post.

Anonymous said...

Terrific post, and so timely for this season of shopping for others but really wanting for myself. Thank you, as usual, for a terrific perspective adjustment.

Gretchen said...

What a cute picture! I love your little bob. I think it's just perfect. In fact, I tried to have one of my own last March (b'day hair cut), and have been growing it out ever since. My hair is wavy. Which sounds good in theory. But it's really curly in patches, wavy in others, and rod-straight in still others.

Yet, I don't have to sweep it off the floor.

I say the same thing about my (too big) breasts. At least they're healthy for now.

Thank you for the timely reminder to be content regardless of circumstances, and to be joyful because of the gifts we've received.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

I loved this post. I am in your camp with the fine hair. Fine as in "tiny baby hair" not as in "gorgeous." Since I have a friend whose hair has fallen out due to chemo, this post totally resonates with me. I'm more grateful this year and less resentful of the fact I can't "buy the Christmas" I'm always tempted to.

BTW, thanks for your sweet comment about following. You didn't have to explain dropping, etc., so that was pretty sweet. Then I saw I wasn't on your following list, so I fixed that. I honestly forget to do that sometimes. And that's exactly why we shouldn't get all hung up on it, right?!

Megan said...

Very true! & well put! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...