Thursday, April 9, 2009

Sweeping Crumbs Under the Temple Rug-updated

(Updated: If you are just now reading this post, you'll see there is an award of sorts in it...I want to clarify that the award was the one I chose for myself...not the one Linda chose for me. I have been learning a lot about myself this week)

Some days, I write well (just to warn you, this is not one of those days). Other days, I can barely write a cohesive sentence. Some days I write insightful posts, other days, I'll just give you a link. But, there is one constant you can count on finding here at Becoming Me: Honesty. I'm not going to lie to you...ever.

So, please do not come up to me while wearing black capri pants patterned with florescent pieces of fruit and ask for my opinion, because I will tell you to change your outfit. I use those pants as an example, because I once owned a pair until someone begged me to never wear them again. And that's one of the reason's I started Becoming Me. No, not because of the pants that nearly landed me on What Not to Wear, but the part about learning from my mistakes and sharing the gleaned wisdom with others. I cannot do that without taking an honest look at myself and coming clean when I mess up.

During the past three weeks I have been inspired to take better care of my body and also to go on a spiritual journey of sorts. I began a 21 day Daniel Fast and then after Linda posted the 30X5 challenge on her blog, I told her that I was game... I thought the two went well together. And they do. But I didn't do a very good job with either. Oh... I stuck to the fast, but I encountered some issues that I'll post about tomorrow...or next week.

As for Linda's challenge? I got this award:




I did not complete the challenge. That's not a completely honest sentence, because to finish something means one first must start it.

I did not start the challenge.

I had good intentions and a decent plan of action, but I also welcomed every single excuse I could find to get out of those plans. When my kids got sick, I reasoned that they needed the extra time with me and even asked Linda if holding a 30 pound two-year-old on my hip for 30 minutes while swaying to soft music counted, because I was, afterall, moving. I also thought about asking her if I could count the 30-60 minutes a day I spend playing "Crash and Roll," with my little boy. It is a game where he crashes his little body into mine and then we roll on the floor and repeat the fun insanity for about 500 to 1,000 times. But as far as actually getting myself in gear to excericise. I didn't, because I really didn't feel like it.

In the book of I Corinthains, Paul writes how the body of a follower of Christ is a temple/dwelling place of God, and how it should be taken care of and honored. Have you ever walked into a church building and heard someone say, "be on your best behavior, because this is the house of God?" In reality, every person who has accepted Christ as Lord and Savior is the house of God.


"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body." I Corinthians 6:19-20


As I reflect on those verses, my unwillingness to exercise, and my attitude regarding food and some other issues, I realize that I do not always do such a good job of taking care of God's temple. Lately, instead of doing the heavy-duty cleaning that needs to be done...I've been sweeping crumbs under a rug instead and saying, "Hey, this place doesn't look so bad afterall."




16 comments:

Erin said...

Realizing it is the first step, isn't it? Good for you. Now you can move forward!

Anonymous said...

At least God doesn't expect perfection. The fact that you are willing to recognize change needs to happen is a good first step. Also, in my humble opinion, playing actively with your kids DOES count. Exercise comes in many shapes and forms - it can be structured or unstructured! And it should be something you enjoy!

Because I have struggled with this for years, I feel particularly sensitive about this topic! But I do want to encourage you - when you make the effort to eat well the majority of the time, you are treating your body well. No one can eat perfectly. And as long as you aren't feeding yourself chips and McDonalds all day every day, I'm sure you are doing better than you give yourself credit for!

All this to say be kind and merciful to yourself! You are beautiful, and God sees the ways you are caring for yourself.

Xandra@Heart-of-Service said...

Oh my. You must have been traipsing through my head when you wrote this post. I KNOW what I should do, but I just don't do it. Excuse after excuse and then end result is the same...failed once again to complete the diet, exercise program, fill in the blank!

Don't despair...just do the 30x5 challenge on your own. Don't give up, do the Daniel fast again. You can do it...and so can I!

Xandra

Muthering Heights said...

I'm with you on this one right now...I have just begun exercising again consistently for the first time since I became pregnant. Even though my temple has fibromyalgia, and regular exercise is crucial to my pain management! Oops!

I'm glad I'm not the only one! :)

Unknown said...

I've never been able to fit exercise into my daily routine. With little ones its hard to find that extra time.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Andrea said that God doesn't expect perfection, and neither do I! I didn't do the challenge perfectly, either. So what!? You can pick it up next Monday if you like. Think about it; pray about it--but hear me: NO pressure. But if you want a cheerleader or whatever, I'll be here for ya. You're an amazing woman with a full plate. I get it.

Becca~CapturingSimpleJoys said...

I've heard good things about the Daniel fast!
Exercise is something I really need to do but way too often don't take the time to do it. Our bodies should be taken care of, God gave them to us and we have a responsibiliy to be good to them! When we eat good things and get our blood pumping with good exercise our brains work better, enabling us to think clearer. As christians that's what we want to soak up more of Gods truth. It is so hard to stick to though! I really struggle with keeping on a good exercise program.

Kimberly said...

I so should be given a lazy cat award. I have a treadmill. Apparently I hate it. :) I was doing so good at the beginning of the year. Then I got sick....ummmm...like 2 months ago. No exercise since then. Surely I'm just still recovering. ;)

Love you and your crumbs,
K

sara said...

I think I could have written this post today.....I have been sweeping the crumbs under the carpet too! ugh!

Angela Nazworth said...

Andrea: You make excellent points that I needed to read. Thank you!!

Beverlydru said...

I happen to really like honest people that still manage to express themselves gracefully, so I'm glad to meet you! Good post.

Renna said...

I disagree with you, today's post was good writing, indeed!

Whether you rose up to the intended challenge or not, it sounds like you did do some 'moving', and that was the whole point of it! ;-)

Diane Meyer said...

I have been trying to figure out the fasting/praying thing with some reading and fasting/praying. Piper's book (you can read the whole thing online) is the best one I found so far. But I am still struggling with completely grasping it...
I don't know why I'm blathering on about this fasting, except you brought it up. So I'll blame you.
I'm good with that. :-)

Alana said...

I'm a fan of baby steps. I try to focus on one thing to tackle at a time, instead of trying to do it all at once.

Anonymous said...

oh I think so many of us can relate to this post. You make a lot of sense and make me look at how I can treat my body as the temple that it truly is. Especially since God lives within me, I really should make it a nice place for Him shouldn't I?

Lisa Spence said...

I just listened to a very convicting sermon today on being a good steward of all that the Lord has entrusted to me...my health...my home...my children...ouch, I'm getting convicted all over again!

Your honesty is one thing I love about your blog. Wish we lived closer so you could give me some honest What Not To Wear advice! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...